MTN is arguably the biggest telecommunications company in Nigeria and it is still growing by the day as they are relentless when it comes to improving. Perhaps you have thought of sharing data with your friends and family who are fellow MTN users, keep on reading this piece. I will show you 3 ways that you can take to share data on MTN in 2023.
Being without data nowadays is not a good situation to be in as a lot of things are now built on the internet. Mobile banking, gaming, chatting, calling, streaming shows and movies all require you to have data. With MTN, it is possible to share data with your loved ones whenever they ask you to.
Table of Contents
Ways to Share Data on MTN
When you want to share data on MTN, there are 3 ways for you to do that, follow the one that is more convenient for you.
Using USSD Code: This is the most conventional way and it can be used on any device.
Using SMS: This is also conventional but it might be more advanced for some people. You send a text with a command to the designated number.
Using the mobile app: If you have a smartphone, then this is the best way to go about it.
Share Data on MTN using USSD
Follow the steps below to share data on MTN with friends and family using the USSD code.
- Dial *312#
- Reply with 7 (Data Gifting), then reply with 1 (Transfer from Data Balance).
- Now, enter the phone number of the person you want to share data with. Input how much data you want to send, tap Send.
- Tap Proceed to continue or Cancel to end the process.
If you don’t want to go through all that, dial *312*PHONE NUMBER*DATA AMOUNT# For example, dial *312*08123456789*500# to send 500MB to that phone number.
Once it is successful, you will receive a confirmation message.
Share Data on MTN using SMS
Follow the steps below to share data on MTN with fellow users using SMS.
Open the Messages app.
Text “Transfer(space)Phone number(space)data amount” to 312. For example, the message is: Transfer 08123456789 500 , if you want to send 500MB to that number.
Share Data using the myMTN NG App
Follow the steps below to share data on MTN using the official MTN app.
- Go to the Google Play Store or Apple App Store and download the myMTN NG App.
- Open the app and log in with your MTN phone number.
- Tap the + button at the bottom of the home screen
- Tap Share on the menu that shows up.
- Tap Data. You would be asked to choose the account you want to share data from if you have multiple phone numbers on the app.
- Enter the recipient’s phone number, and select how much data you want to share, and then tap Share.
I hope you have been able to share data with your loved ones using MTN via the guide above.
Everything you need to know about sharing Data on MTN
Before going, here are some things that you need to know before you share Data on MTN as there are rules guiding it.
- You can only share data with fellow MTN users and it is available to new and existing MTN subscribers.
- The plans you can share data from are your daily, weekly, and monthly access bundle plans. If you have a special data bundle like XtraValue and XtraSpecial, you can’t share data from it. Also, you can’t share data from your XtraByte balance.
- A minimum balance of 50MB is required to be on your data plan after sharing data with the user. For example, if you have 100MB, you can only share 50MB.
- You can’t combine different plans to share data. For example, if you have 200MB and 300MB on your weekly and monthly bundles respectively, you can’t combine it to send 450MB. You will have to send it severally i.e. 150MB and 250MB.
- With MTN, the amount of data you can share at a time is already preset. They are 50MB, 100MB, 200MB, 500MB, 1GB, 2GB and 3GB.
- The maximum amount you can share at one go is 3GB.
- You can share data multiple times in a day but the maximum limit is 3GB. You can’t exceed 3GB of cumulative shared data in a day. So keep track of how much data you’re sharing each time so you don’t exceed your limit.
Now, we’ve come to the end of this article showing you 3 ways to share data on MTN in 2023. Check our article reviewing the MTN 5G network.