Over the course of their supported lives, Android phones typically receive a number of software upgrades from their manufacturers. These upgrades will increase the device’s security, add new features, and solve a number of bugs. Even while these updates are typically sent to the device automatically, there are situations when you’ll want to do it yourself.
In this easy guide, you’ll learn how to install the most recent version of the Android operating system. If you’ve been looking for a way to upgrade the operating system of your Android device, you’ll be able to do so easily by following this simple guide.
Manually Upgrade Your Android Phone Using Settings
You can manually upgrade the operating system of your Android device following the instructions below:
● Ensure that Wi-Fi is active on your Android. Your Android device must be connected to Wi-Fi and not cellular data in order to download and install an update. Depending on your Android, you might additionally need to charge it (for example, to 50%) or plug it into its charger before you can load an update.
● Open the settings on your Android. Swipe down from the top of the screen, and when the drop-down menu appears, hit the “Settings” symbol in the top-right corner. You may need to swipe down with two fingers on some Android devices.
● Tap System after swiping down. The Settings page’s bottom is where you’ll discover this option. Instead, you’ll tap Software update on a Samsung Galaxy.
● Press the About phone button. On the System page, it’s not far from the bottom. You may instead tap Advanced here if you’re using a Google Android device (like the Pixel, for example). You can choose to manually download updates or download and install them on a Samsung Galaxy. Instead of clicking here, you’ll tap About tablet if you’re using an Android tablet.
● Pick the Update option from the menu. The name of this option may change, but you can usually find it on the “About phone” tab (or “Download updates manually” if you have a Samsung Galaxy) or somewhere else. To look for an update that is available, you might need to first hit a “Check for updates” button.
● Observe any directions displayed on the screen. Before the update will start installing, you might need to tap through a few on-screen prompts (such as entering your passcode and confirming the update), depending on your Android device.
● Hold off till your Android has updated completely. This could take up to 30 minutes. The most recent version of Android should be put on your phone once it has finished updating and restarting.
Manually Upgrade Your Android Phone Using a Computer
This is another method to try when attempting to upgrade the operating system of an Android device. Follow these instructions to get it done:
● Download the desktop application from your Android manufacturer. Depending on the manufacturer of your Android, this step may differ, but you can typically find the desktop application under the “Downloads” part of the manufacturer’s “Support” page. The following are typical Android vendor instructions for downloading software:
● Samsung: Open the Kies download website, scroll down, and select KIES DOWNLOAD (SMART SWITCH is the appropriate option for Mac).
● LG: Go to the LG PC Suite page, scroll down, and select the desired operating system (such as Windows).
● Sony: Click Download for Windows or Download for Mac OS on the Xperia Companion download page.
● Motorola: Click Download for Windows or Download for Mac on the Motorola Device Manager download page.
● Set up the desktop application. Follow the on-screen prompts after double-clicking the downloaded software setup file. On a Mac, you typically click and drag the software maker’s logo onto the shortcut for the Applications folder. Before installing the software, you might need to verify it.
● Locate and download the most recent update file. If your Android’s manufacturer has an update available, you can typically find it in the “Downloads” area of the “Support” website; in order to get the correct update file, you’ll probably need to choose your Android’s type and model.
In most cases, downloading an update file is initiated by clicking its name or the Download button. There are no new updates available for your Android if there aren’t any update files listed on the website.
● Your computer and Android need to be connected at this point. Connect the USB end of the charger cable for your Android to your computer before connecting the other end to your device. To connect the charger wire to your computer if you have a Mac, you might need to purchase a USB 3.0 to USB-C converter.
● Open the desktop application from the manufacturer. The app icon for the desktop program you installed should be clicked twice. Additionally, you can enter the name of the program into the Start Image (Windows) or the Spotlight Image (Mac) and then click or double-click the entry in the search results.
● Locate the Update option, then click it. The position of this option depends on your program. For instance, with Samsung Kies, you need to first select Tools from the drop-down option before selecting Update.
● When prompted, select your update file. Click once the update file that you downloaded to select it, then click Open to confirm. To choose the update file, you might have to first click a Choose file or Browse option.
● Observe any instructions that appear on the screen. Depending on your software and Android model, the installation process may differ, so follow any on-screen instructions in the program until the update starts. Keep your Android connected to your computer until the update is finished.
In conclusion, as long as you’re equipped with the right instructions, upgrading the operating system of your Android device is an easy feat to accomplish. The instructions we’ve provided in this guide will help you achieve this easily.
- Check out mobile data plans from MTN, Globacom, Airtel, and 9mobile.
- Like our Facebook page: facebook.com/mobilitynigeria
- Follow @MobilityNigeria on Twitter to stay up-to-date when we publish new articles.
- Follow @MobilityNigeria on Instagram for fun stuff.