Huawei Y9s is an Android 9 Pie smartphone that was announced in November 2019. It features a 6.59-inch FullView display, Hisilicon Kirin 710F chipset, 16 MP motorized po-up selfie camera, 48MP rear triple camera, 6 GB RAM, 128 GB internal memory, and a 4000 mAh battery.
Phone Status: Official. This is a smartphone with mid-range specs and features, and effectively a rebadged Honor 9X Pro with minor modifications. The modifications include the use of Kirin 710F chipset instead of Kirin 810 in the Honor 9X. Huawei is still facing a US government ban, which means it isn’t getting Google approval for new smartphone models. The company’s strategy for selling new smartphones with Google Services and apps seems to be to tweak and rebrand models that already have a Google licence. So expect to see lots of new devices with an “s” or some other appellations to an existing model.
Huawei Y9s Specifications and Features
Wireless Network and Software
- 2G mobile network bands: GSM, GPRS, EDGE 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G mobile network bands: UMTS, WCDMA, HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100 MHz
- 4G mobile network bands: LTE 1(2100) / 3(1800) / 5(850) / 40(2300) / 41(2500)
- 5G mobile network bands: No.
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM, Dual SIM
- Software / Operating System: Android 9 Pie + EMUI 9.1
Design, Form Factor, Appearance
- Dimensions: 163.1 x 77.2 x 8.8 mm
- Weight: 206g
- Display: 6.59 inches, 2340 x 1080 pixels, 19:9 aspect ratio, TFT LCD curved glass screen, FullView display.
- Colours: Midnight Black. Breathing Crystal.
- Physical Build: Polished glass with 3D arc + aluminium frame.
Internal Hardware Specs
- Processor Type: 64-bit, 2.2 GHz Octa-core, Cortex-A73
- Processor Name: Hisilicon Kirin 710F (12nm)
- Graphics Processor: Mali-G51 MP4
- RAM: 6 GB
- Internal Storage: 128 GB
- External Storage: microSD, up to 512 GB (hybrid slot)
Photography, Video Recording
- Rear Camera: 48 MP (f/1.8 aperture) + 8 MP (Ultra Wide Angle Lens, f/2.4 aperture) + 2 MP (f/2.4 aperture) + Autofocus (phase focus), LED flash, 1080p@30fps video recording
- Front-facing Camera: 16 MP, f2.2 Aperture, motorized pop-up camera, AI Face Recognition, 1080p@30fps video capture.
Audio, Video Playback
- Music Support: PCM, AAC / AAC + / eAAC + / MP3 / AMR – NB / WB / APE
- Audio: 3.5 mm audio jack
- Loudspeaker: Mono speakers
- Video Support: H.264/MP4/MPEG4 player
- FM Radio: Yes.
- Digital Compass: Yes.
- Accelerometer: Yes.
- Proximity Sensor: No.
- Ambient Light Sensor: Yes.
- Barometer: No.
- Pedometer: No.
- Heart Rate Monitor: No.
- Gyroscope (G-Sensor): Yes.
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes; side-mounted.
- Face Unlock: Yes.
- Iris Scanner: No.
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: No.
- Voice Control: No.
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes; Google Assistant.
- Infra-red Sensor: No.
- Bluetooth: v4.2, A2DP
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, hotspot
- GPS: Yes, A-GPS, GLONASS, Beidou
- USB: microUSB v2.0; Type-C.
- NFC: No.
Miscellaneous Specs and Features
- Battery Type and Capacity: Non-Removable Lithium-Ion 4000 mAh
- Battery Charging: 10W Fast Charging
- Wireless Charging: No.
- Reverse Charging: No. No.
- Model Number: STK-L21, STK-LX3, STK-L22.
Huawei Y9s Price and Launch Date
- Announced: November 2019
- Release Date: December 2019
- Country Availability: India. Iraq. Nigeria. Kenya. Ghana. Pakistan.Saudi Arabia.
- Price: $239. 1499GHS in Ghana. ₦99,000 in Nigeria.
Answers To Common Questions About Huawei Y9s
Here are answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about the Y9s.
Does Huawei Y9s have fingerprint scanner?
Huawei Y9s has a fingerprint scanner located on the power button on the right edge (side) of the phone.
Does Huawei Y9s support fast charging?
Huawei Y9s is equipped with a 10W charging system, which is slightly faster than regular charging.
Does Huawei Y9s screen have Gorilla Glass protection?
No; the Y9s does not have Gorilla Glass protection for its screen.
Does Huawei Y9s support 4G LTE?
Yes; the Y9s is equipped with a 4G LTE radio in both SIM slots.
Does Huawei Y9s support Glo 4G?
We are unable to confirm at this time whether Huawei Y9s works on Glo’s 28(700) 4G band.
Does Huawei Y9s have NFC?
No; Huawei Y9s is not equipped with NFC.
MobilityArena Buyer’s Guide Verdict
We do not have a guide available yet.
Our Buyer’s Guide Verdict is a recommendation that we make based on our evaluation of the specs of the device. It is a general guide designed to help you understand how much value a smartphone offers for its price. It is not a stamp of quality assessment or an endorsement of the device or of the manufacturers. Be sure to ask questions and use your judgement when buying any device, as MobilityArena may not be held responsible for your buying decisions.
Huawei Y9s Review Rating
We are yet to review the Huawei Y9s and so do not have a review rating for it yet. This section will be updated with our review rating and a link to the review page, as soon as we have a review ready.
Disclaimer: While we take the pains to ensure accuracy, we can not guarantee that the specs and information on this page about the Huawei Y9s are 100% correct. If you think that any information for the current phone is wrong or missing, please contact us.
- Don’t miss our reviews.
- Follow our news on Google News.
- Join our WhatsApp Group, to be notified of the most important articles and deals,
- Follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
We share free and useful content about mobile technology and services in Nigeria.