Nokia 5.3 is a mid-range Android smartphone. As with all Nokia Android phones, its greatest selling point is the fact that it runs the stock version of Android operating system, in this case stock Android 10, and also offers 2 years of major Android updates and 3 years of monthly security updates. In other words, Nokia 5,3 will get Android 11 and Android 12. That is great value on the software side.
On the hardware side, we have a 6.55-inch LCD display with Gorilla Glass 3, Snapdragon 665 chipset, 13-megapixel quad camera at the back, 8-megapixel camera for selfies, 4000mAh battery, and 10W fast charging. There are three variants of Nokia 5.3 – the base variant has 3GB RAM + 64GB ROM (internal storage memory), the second variant has 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM, while the highest variant has 6GB RAM + 64GB ROM.
Nokia 5.3 Specifications
- Display: 6.55-inch IPS LCD waterdrop display. Resolution is a mere 720 x 1600 pixels, so it isn’t the sharpest of displays. But there is Gorilla Glass 3 protection on it.
- Battery: The 4000mAh battery is adequate by 2020 standards, so you can expect battery life that covers a close to a full day, If you use the phone sparingly, you will easily squeeze out a full day out of it.
- Charging: 10W fast charge means that if you plug in the phone to charge with an empty battery, you will have 30% power within 30 minutes. That is only a little faster than what regular charging does.
- USB type: This phone uses USB Type-C. That is the one with a reversible connector, not the old school USB port.
- Processor: This is the equivalent of the engine of the phone. It determines how powerful a smartphone is. Nokia 5.3 uses a Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 chipset, which is decent. It isn’t a top performer in the mid-range class of smartphones but it will do.
- RAM: 3GB RAM is just manageable for decent app launching and switching. 4GB RAM is good for fairly smooth app launching and switching. If you go for the 6GB RAM variant, you will get an even smoother experience when you launch or switch between apps.
- Storage Memory (ROM): It means what it says: memory that you use for storing your files e.g.photos, vidoes, documents, etc. All variants of the 5.3 have 64GB storage.
- Selfie Camera: An 8-megapixel snapper hidden in a waterdrop at the top of the display.
- Rear Camera: There are four camera sensors at the back, and the main one has a 13-megapixel resolution. Expect good pictures. The other 3 sensors include: 5MP ultra wide-angle sensor, 2MP macro sensor, and a 2MP depth camera. There is an LED flash to assist with low-light photography.
- Fingerprint Scanner: The fingerprint sensor is located on the rear of the phone, some distance below the camera module.
- Face Unlock: Yes.
Up next, we have answers to some of your most frequently asked questions about Nokia 5.3.
What colours is Nokia 5.3 available in?
The 5.3 is available in 3 colours, namely: Cyan, Sand, and Charcoal.
Does Nokia 5.3 have Gorilla Glass protection?
Yes; the Nokia 5.3 has Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3 protecting its large 6.55-inch display.
Is Nokia 5.3 waterproof?
There is no mention of an official IP water or dustproof rating for the Nokia 5.3.
Does Nokia 5.3 have NFC?
HMD Global says Nokia 5.3 is equipped with NFC.
How much is Nokia 5.3 in Nigeria? What is the price?
The 3GB RAM + 64 GB ROM version of the 5.3 has a recommended retail price (RRP) of ₦78,000. It is not clear whether the other varioants of the phone are officially available in the country. HMD Global has a policy of selling the base model of their phones in Nigeria.
Is Nokia 5.3 worth buying?
For the price, the 5.3 looks like good value for money.
Where can you find the Nokia 5.3 to buy in Nigeria? Check local retail stores, as well as ecommerce sites like Slot, Jumia, Konga, and others.
- Follow @MobilityNigeria on Twitter to stay up-to-date when we publish new articles.
- Follow @MobilityNigeria on Instagram for fun stuff.
We share free and useful content about mobile technology and services in Nigeria.