This morning, I had my primary SIM in the Nokia 808 PureView and needed to get some internet-connected work done on the BlackBerry PlayBook. I had not tried out the built-in JoikuSpot hotspot app on the 808 since it arrived, but this morning I fired it up and got it running.
Well, guess what. Regardless of how I tried, the PlayBook wouldn’t detect the Joiku hotspot. I picked up the One X just to see if it was an issue that is limited to the PlayBook, but the One X couldn’t detect it either.
USB Tethering Too
So, I thought, how about the “Use Phone as Modem” feature? Oh, how I have loathed that feature in recent times. I wasn’t expecting it to work, and I wasn’t disappointed. After setting things up and connecting the phone via USB to my netbook, the PC software kept telling me that no connected phone was detected. You know, what I did? I flung the darn phone against the wall! Yes; I know… be angry and sin not.
Okay. I actually didn’t do that. Here’s what happened, I found that my netbook could at least detect and work with the Joiku hotspot. Relief! But then…
I still cannot share my data plan with the PlayBook or any other device at home or at work, except my netbook (which I loathe carrying around). Please. I can’t shout.
Switch. To Anything Else
In my recent article, Four Weeks With Belle OS FP2, I shared how the switch away from Belle was inevitable. This morning’s experience has only reinforced that.
I know that the folks at Nokia would love for me to say, “Switch to Lumia”. But this isn’t a sponsored post or an advert. So, here it is: if wireless internet sharing is important to you, switch away from Nokia Belle OS. Switch to any other smartphone platform. Android does wireless sharing effortlessly. Windows Phone does same. iOS too.
Sooner or later, you will make the switch. Resistance is futile.
Follow this category via RSS feed: Tips
- App Review: Chatter – all your Nigerian news in one place - January 27, 2015
- What users are saying about Microsoft Lumia 535 - January 26, 2015
- Hulk or Hercules? See BlackBerry Passport beside Curve 9320 - January 26, 2015
- Photos: This Lumia (535) is on Denim - January 22, 2015
- What apps are you missing on Windows Phone? - January 21, 2015
- BlackBerry Passport Review: Performance and Battery Usage - January 20, 2015
- 16 years ago today, the original BlackBerry was born - January 19, 2015
- Do you have Android Lollipop on your “Google” device yet? - January 19, 2015
- One more thing! Look at these beautiful smartphones from an ex-Apple CEO - January 16, 2015
- Second batch of Nokia N1 sold out in minutes - January 15, 2015