We all know how volatile and dynamic the mobile market is. 2012 has been a very interesting year, and it is over already. So, there’s no use staying in the past. 2013 is here and promises some excitement.
For starters, the much anticipated BlackBerry 10 is set to hit the streets in January/February. Will RIM pull this off and get people justling for BlackBerries again? Is this comeback going to be for real?
While Windows Phone 8 is already on the market, 2013 is the year that Microsoft and partners are looking to make a real dent in the smartphone marketshare. The once dominant giant, Nokia, has placed all its bets on the platform and will be pushing hard.
Will we see a QWERTY keyboard Windows Phone in 2013? Or – God forbid – a QWERTY iOS device?
Jolla’s Sailfish phones are also expected in 2013. It does not look like there will be a shortage of excitement all through the year.
Here in Nigeria, surely 2013 will be the year of LTE mobile broadband. Some network operators claim that they are setup and all ready to go. On your marks…
Mobile Number Portability? I’m not holding my breath anymore. The see-saw has been rocking for far too long, and I’ll just make do with what I have here. When MNP comes, it comes, even if that is 2015.
We are also expecting much lower cost Android smartphones. This looks to be bloody and might spell the beginning of the end for feature phones. If we ever see a N5, 000 Android smartphone, we might as well read out a Burning Platform speech for feature phones.
The mobile industry is huge. Lots of game changers can show up at any time. Perhaps one or two new killer apps and services, or some new technology (batteries and power management, anyone?), or a new super-duper device to rule them all.
What are you on the lookout for in 2013? What are your expectations?
Follow this category via RSS feed: Tips
- Nokia-branded Android phone on the way? - December 23, 2014
- Tip: If you want to roam data when travelling… - December 22, 2014
- Photos: Infinix Hot X507 in the Arena - December 20, 2014
- BlackBerry Passport Review: The Keyboard - December 20, 2014
- If marathon battery life is key, try these brands.. - December 20, 2014
- Three things the new Mtel can do right away - December 20, 2014
- Stickers, stickers, stickers everywhere!! - December 20, 2014
- 2014 flagships comparison – Lumia 930, Galaxy S5, iPhone 6 - December 19, 2014
- Why mobile apps may kill Google - December 18, 2014
- BlackBerry Passport Review: Form Factor - December 17, 2014