Mobile number portability has been here for a little while now, and I know a few individuals who have ported or attempted porting. None of them have had a trouble-free experience. Jesse, whose porting from Airtel to Etisalat took eight days of going back and forth, has a few things to say. Besides the porting delay, till date (over two weeks later), he is still unable to receive SMS, as he states in this tweet:
Mobile Number Portability update – I still can’t receive text messages. The pain of porting is far more than what I imagined.
— J (@JesseOguns) May 19, 2013
Already, there are allegations of unethical practices on the part of the networks, and Jesse doesn’t find those far-fetched:
The alleged Scandal may explain why it took me 8 days to port – When Mobile Number Portability Goes Sour|bit.ly/12nYzec
— J (@JesseOguns) May 12, 2013
Gbenga Sesan is another early porter, and weeks after initiating the process, he still faces issues:
Yet to get successful porting SMS but just made successful call with new network’s SIM. 17 days after first request. Still can’t make calls.
— ‘Gbenga Sesan (@gbengasesan) May 14, 2013
He also says:
@gbengasesan to me, it is the lack of commitment of NCC to enforce MNP as it is now obvious that telcos are not honouring porting requests
— Chukwuyere Izuogu (@NairaSolicitor) May 14, 2013
One can only hope that these issues get resolved. Precedence suggests otherwise. Almost nothing gets fixed around here. Subscribers have been complaining of epileptic voice, SMS and internet services for years, and those are still here with us today. One finds it difficult to see how the issues with mobile number portability will go away anytime soon.
I haven’t attempted to port a number yet. There are enough things in Nigeria that are giving me a headache than to willfully add to that by attempting to port a line. No, thank you, kind sirs.
Still, it would be good to hear from more users who have attempted porting. What have your experiences been like? Do share!
Follow this category via RSS feed: Tips
- BlackBerry 10 versus Windows Phone - November 27, 2014
- iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus eating the cheese of iPads? - November 27, 2014
- This is why mobile networks are trying to put a smartphone in your hand - November 25, 2014
- [Photos] When Mister Mo went to the first ever Etisalat iParty - November 25, 2014
- Business: BlackBerry Passport reminds me of the Nokia E61i - November 24, 2014
- Lumia 730 captures 1,151 people in world’s largest selfie - November 24, 2014
- MTN modifies 4.5GB data plan message - November 22, 2014
- Microsoft replaces Nokia Store with Opera Mobile Store in Nokia-branded phones - November 19, 2014
- Nokia can’t make smartphones until 2016, but they can do tablets. So, they made the N1 - November 18, 2014
- True Story: Nokia N8 kickstarted his professional career in photography - November 17, 2014