If you are shopping for a phablet – that is, a phone-tablet hybrid with displays between 5 and 7 inches across – and do not like what Samsung offers in the Note II or want less expensive options, here are a few alternatives in the market.
LG Optimus Vu P895
First up is LG’s Optimus Vu. It has a smaller display at 5 inches and with a 4:3 aspect ratio. That ratio fits better with how webpages and books are designed, so it supposedly should make for easier reading and browsing. It runs Android 4.0 though and some might find that a step down from Jelly Bean.
The Vu is powered by a 1.5 GHz Quad-core processor and 2GB RAM. There is an enhanced stylus in the picture too which has been branded a Rubberdium Pen.
The Optimus Vu will set you back by only N79,000.00, which is significantly less expensive than the Note II.
Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
Next up is the Note II’s older sibling, the original Note. The Note is still quite a compelling phablet and is getting a firmware upgrade to bring it to Android Jelly Bean. A less capable stylus is there, and the display is slightly smaller at 5.3 inches.
The Note N7000 will set you back roughly the same as the Optimus Vu – N79,500.00.
On The Way
To be sure, there are not many phablets in the market at the moment. HTC has announced the Butterfly, a 5-inch display phablet that will be hitting the market soon. The Butterfly (why such a sissy name for a workhorse?) packs a 1.5GHz quad-core processor and 2GB of RAM too, and runs Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, making it a very up-to-date device.
If you are a fan of HTC products, or you have been longing to give them a go for a while, you should be able to spread your wings like a butterfly soon.
What are your thoughts? If the Note II was not an available option to you, which of the alternatives would you spend on?
Follow this category via RSS feed: Tips
- My first experience with a Windows universal app - December 28, 2014
- Something about this virus notice is wrong - December 28, 2014
- Forget apps. Here is the problem with Windows Phone - December 27, 2014
- Nokia-branded Android phone on the way? - December 23, 2014
- Tip: If you want to roam data when travelling… - December 22, 2014
- Photos: Infinix Hot X507 in the Arena - December 20, 2014
- BlackBerry Passport Review: The Keyboard - December 20, 2014
- If marathon battery life is key, try these brands.. - December 20, 2014
- Three things the new Mtel can do right away - December 20, 2014
- Stickers, stickers, stickers everywhere!! - December 20, 2014