I have tried out almost all data plans from the four major GSM network operators in Nigeria. Collectively, I call them GAME (Glo, Airtel, MTN and Etisalat). Till now, MTN has always been top contender for the poorest quality of service of the lot. As a matter of fact, at a certain time whenever I subscribed to an MTN data plan, the only time that it was usable was in the night. By night, I mean from midnight. So, colour me surprised when yesterday I decided to forget my horrible memories with them and gave them another try, and found myself enjoying good internet service.
I subscribed to a test data plan of 2 hours as suggested in my earlier post titled What To Do Before Subscribing To A Data Plan. Visiting a few websites, I noticed how fast webpages loaded, and I was very surprised. This was around 2 PM. There was no epileptic speed and performance, as I had come to expect from MTN Nigeria’s legendarily horrible data service.
Today I have subscribed to the two hour plan again to test if yesterday’s speed was just a fluke. I am still amazed by the speeds that I am experiencing. This is in contrast to current internet service on my dear Etisalat, which has degraded into something that is only usable around midnight. EasySnail anyone?
Here is the Speedtest result of my current speed on MTN’s data plan
As you can see from the result above that it is pretty impressive. Can anything good come out of Nazareth? This however is just my own experience, do share yours in the comments below.
Follow this category via RSS feed: Tips
- Should you tinker with your Android device? - January 5, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Hands-on photos - October 1, 2013
- How to use Android Device Manager - August 14, 2013
- Meet Rockmelt, My Favourite NewsReader - July 7, 2013
- Hands on with iOS 7 beta 2 - July 6, 2013
- Lost in Samsung’s Galaxy - July 5, 2013
- An Android fanboy meets the iPad 3 - June 12, 2013
- I Want an iPhone 5 – Emmagine - March 13, 2013
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Review: A Capable Elder Brother? - February 11, 2013
- Best Android Apps for Students - February 7, 2013