I was involved in a car accident in 2008. A speeding bus lost control, crossed the highway divider, and rammed directly into me. My car was a total wreck. Dazed as I was, I crawled out through the front passenger’s side, and the first thing I did was reach out to my wife and dad via phone calls. If you have ever been in an emergency e.g. a car accident like I have been, or an armed robbery incident, you will appreciate the need to reach friends and family urgently for assistance.
Microsoft has created a mobile application that helps you connect quickly with loved ones during emergencies. There is also an extra feature that lets you discover and donate to organizations involved in disaster response work, and find opportunities to volunteer.
How HelpBridge Works
Here is how HelpBridge works. You set email addresses, mobile numbers and your Facebook profile, and in an emergency, with one action (tapping the “I Need Help” button), the app simultaneously sends an e-mail and SMS to your preset contacts and posting a message to your Facebook wall. You can even also your GPS coordinates so that message recipients will know where you are and the circumstances surrounding you.
Twitter integration would have been nice too, for those of us who spend much more time on Twitter. Still…
Available for Windows Phone, android, and iOS
HelpBridge is available on WindowsPhone (both v7 & v8), but I couldn’t get it for the Lumia 610. I guess the low processor and RAM means it won’t run on it. In addition, it is also available on iOS and Android. Surprise! Surprise!
Do note that HelpBridge is officially supported in the US only, but as I have not been able to review the app because it isn’t supported by the 610, I have no idea which features work here in Nigeria and which don’t. If you however own a mid to top range windows Phone, feel free to download the app to try it out and be kind to provide feedback in the comments section below.
Follow this category via RSS feed: Tips
- Nokia-branded Android phone on the way? - December 23, 2014
- Tip: If you want to roam data when travelling… - December 22, 2014
- Photos: Infinix Hot X507 in the Arena - December 20, 2014
- BlackBerry Passport Review: The Keyboard - December 20, 2014
- If marathon battery life is key, try these brands.. - December 20, 2014
- Three things the new Mtel can do right away - December 20, 2014
- Stickers, stickers, stickers everywhere!! - December 20, 2014
- 2014 flagships comparison – Lumia 930, Galaxy S5, iPhone 6 - December 19, 2014
- Why mobile apps may kill Google - December 18, 2014
- BlackBerry Passport Review: Form Factor - December 17, 2014