I have pre-ordered my Jolla!
Sailfish OS is the new smartphone platform that has risen from the ashes of Maemo/MeeGo. Nokia abandoned MeeGo recently and it was picked up and modified quite a bit by a new Finnish manufacturer. The first smartphone running Sailfish is the Jolla and it will be available by the end of the year. Here are a few features:
– 4.5” Estrade display (yet to be specified resolution)
– Yet to be specified Dual core processor
– Yet to be specified RAM
– 16GB Internal memory + microSD card slot
– 8MP AutoFocus camera
– Yet to be specified User-replaceable battery
– The Other Half: interchangeable back covers in a variety of colours, that when snapped on, the OS recognizes which color is on and will adapt the visual theme of the UI to the color
– Gesture based Sailfish OS
– Android™ app compliant
There are quite a number of unspecified items on the specs sheet. I read though that Sailfish OS is Android app compliant out of the box. I hope that means there will be no need to do any conversions or tweaking around to get Android apps to install on it as obtains with BlackBerry 10 OS. That will be a huge selling point. here is to hoping that Sailfish is not as resource hungry as Android is.
I am excited to see MeeGo again and hope that both Sailfish and Jolla live up to the expectations. If they do, they have a loyal fan in me. I am not sure that the long wait before the device ships is exciting though. This is May, and we have to wait till end of the year? Of course, shipping by year end means it likely gets into our grubby hands in 2014. Sigh.
Anyway, if you are a MeeGo fan like myself and you are interested, you can Join Jolla to pre-order your copy.
Follow this category via RSS feed: Tips
- A visual tour of Android 5 Lollipop - January 31, 2015
- App review: APC Situation Room for Windows Phone - January 31, 2015
- Why Lumia 920 has remained the top Windows Phone flagship till date - January 29, 2015
- How well different mobile browsers support HTML5 - January 29, 2015
- App Review: Chatter – all your Nigerian news in one place - January 27, 2015
- What users are saying about Microsoft Lumia 535 - January 26, 2015
- Hulk or Hercules? See BlackBerry Passport beside Curve 9320 - January 26, 2015
- Photos: This Lumia (535) is on Denim - January 22, 2015
- What apps are you missing on Windows Phone? - January 21, 2015
- BlackBerry Passport Review: Performance and Battery Usage - January 20, 2015