Sailfish OS is the new smartphone platform that has risen from the ashes of Maemo/MeeGo. Nokia abandoned MeeGo recently and it was picked up and modified quite a bit by a new Finnish manufacturer. The first smartphone running Sailfish is the Jolla and it will be available by the end of the year. Here are a few features:
– 4.5” Estrade display (yet to be specified resolution)
– Yet to be specified Dual core processor
– Yet to be specified RAM
– 16GB Internal memory + microSD card slot
– 8MP AutoFocus camera
– Yet to be specified User-replaceable battery
– The Other Half: interchangeable back covers in a variety of colours, that when snapped on, the OS recognizes which color is on and will adapt the visual theme of the UI to the color
– Gesture based Sailfish OS
– Android™ app compliant
There are quite a number of unspecified items on the specs sheet. I read though that Sailfish OS is Android app compliant out of the box. I hope that means there will be no need to do any conversions or tweaking around to get Android apps to install on it as obtains with BlackBerry 10 OS. That will be a huge selling point. here is to hoping that Sailfish is not as resource hungry as Android is.
I am excited to see MeeGo again and hope that both Sailfish and Jolla live up to the expectations. If they do, they have a loyal fan in me. I am not sure that the long wait before the device ships is exciting though. This is May, and we have to wait till end of the year? Of course, shipping by year end means it likely gets into our grubby hands in 2014. Sigh.
Anyway, if you are a MeeGo fan like myself and you are interested, you can Join Jolla to pre-order your copy.
Follow this category via RSS feed: Tips
- MTN modifies 4.5GB data plan message - November 22, 2014
- Microsoft replaces Nokia Store with Opera Mobile Store in Nokia-branded phones - November 19, 2014
- Nokia can’t make smartphones until 2016, but they can do tablets. So, they made the N1 - November 18, 2014
- True Story: Nokia N8 kickstarted his professional career in photography - November 17, 2014
- BlackBerry 2004 meets 2014: 7290 versus Passport - November 15, 2014
- Even Governor Fashola is smitten with the selfie bug - November 14, 2014
- Why NaijaBature rocks the Gionee M2 - November 14, 2014
- Introducing Movie Creator app for Windows smartphones - November 13, 2014
- Finally, BlackBerry makes a really good cameraphone - November 13, 2014
- SOLO Music updated to version 2.0 - November 12, 2014