How to force the Windows Phone 7.8 update
I have spent the last few weeks using the popularly published method of forcing the Windows Phone 7.8 update, without success. Last night alone, I tried that popular Connect-Disconnect-After-3/5-Seconds trick about twenty (20) times and failed every single time. Then, I decided to hunt out alternative methods to force the update. Well, I ran into one, and within a few minutes, I had completed the two update cycles that brought my Lumia 610 up to Windows Phone 7.8.
If you have a Windows Phone 7 smartphone with you and want a taste of v7.8, follow these steps:
- Disable WiFi and mobile data on your phone
- Connect the phone to your PC, and launch Zune
- Launch your PC’s Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del) and select the Networking tab
- Close all other apps that might be downloading data. The Network tab will indicate 0% if you have done this
- In Zune, click on Update in Settings -> Phone, and look at the Networking tab. Whenever the graph spikes to 25% (for Mobile Broadband Connection) or 0.5% (for Wireless Network Connection), disconnect. Zune will indicate that an update is available
- Reconnect, click Update and follow through with the update process
Like I mentioned earlier, two update cycles got me to WP 7.8. after each update, disconnect your phone from the PC and reconnect again to repeat the above steps. The final OS build is 8858, so if you are not seeing that yet, keep updating till you get that build. After the two updates that bumped my Lumia to v7.8, a third one named “Nokia Update for Windows Phone” popped up, and I processed that too. This update added the Nokia-specific improvements and additions like Ringtone Maker, Bluetooth Share, and Camera Extras.
Windows Phone 7.8 In brief
Here are the features that Windows phone 7.8 brings to the party:
- Resizable Live Tiles
- 20 Theme Colours
- Rotating Bing Lock Screen Images
I shall be busy playing with my brand new device for a while and bring you those reviews, rants and features that you so love to read. It is going to be an exciting weekend after all!