I use the generic email client on the Xperia P, as I have since migrated away from Gmail to Outlook for all my mails. Today, I received an email that needed a response. I also needed to attach a document in my reply. After reading the mail in question, I hit the “Reply” button, typed out my response and hit the “Attach File” icon. Here is what I got:
Surprise! Surprise!! The only attachment options available were for media files. There didn’t seem to be a way to attach a PDF, Word, or PowerPoint file from inside the generic email client. Just like obtains on Windows Phone and iOS. Oh, was I enraged! This wasn’t an issue on some other Android smartphones that I reviewed recently, the HTC One X and Galaxy Note II. On both of those, access to the file manager was granted immediately so I could pick the document that I wanted to send. This is the problem with Android: you almost never know what to expect when you switch from one brand to another, even with something as basic as attaching documents to outgoing mail.
After a while, I just thought to see what happened if I selected the “Add Photo” and “Add Video” options. When I selected either, I got a menu with options to select the default file manager, Dropbox, or photo/video galleries, depending on which I picked. Here is what picking the “Add Video” option gave me.
From there, when I selected “ASTRO File Manager”, I was able to browse through the file system to pick the document I wanted and attach it to the mail. This is without doubt an unintuitive process and a long journey. Why Sony chose to implement it this way baffles me, but at least the ability to attach all manner of files is there.
A nice discovery though is finding out that I can also attach a file directly from my Dropbox account nice! Cool enhancement. By the way, ASTRO File Manager came pre-installed on the Xperia P.
Follow this category via RSS feed: Reviews
- Forget apps. Here is the problem with Windows Phone - December 27, 2014
- Nokia-branded Android phone on the way? - December 23, 2014
- Tip: If you want to roam data when travelling… - December 22, 2014
- Photos: Infinix Hot X507 in the Arena - December 20, 2014
- BlackBerry Passport Review: The Keyboard - December 20, 2014
- If marathon battery life is key, try these brands.. - December 20, 2014
- Three things the new Mtel can do right away - December 20, 2014
- Stickers, stickers, stickers everywhere!! - December 20, 2014
- 2014 flagships comparison – Lumia 930, Galaxy S5, iPhone 6 - December 19, 2014
- Why mobile apps may kill Google - December 18, 2014